Sonntag, Juni 18, 2006

Icelandic impressions from India

Nina, a friend from Iceland who I met in Chandigarh, has an amazing story about her worst moment(s) in India to tell. I just couldn't resist posting it, as it shows perfectly the attidute of Indian men towards "fair" coloured foreign women.


My Worst India Moment(s)

On my way home to The City Beautiful (namely Chandigarh, comment added by blog author) I took a Sleeper Bus from Udaipur to Delhi. Of course my bunker bed was the ONLY one not to have curtains. So, of course, the lovely Indian men sleeping around me all had their curtains open for the view. I turned to the window and tried to ignore it and sleep.

In the middle of the night, I woke up to something stroking my butt. I decided someone had been passing by and accidentally bumped into me (now, after all this time in India, don´t ask me why I gave these Indians the benefit of the doubt).

A few seconds later, I got stroked a second time. I realized it was no accident. So, when the third stroke came, I rushed up and saw an Indian jump behind the curtains of his bunker bed across the hallway.

I opened the curtains and started yelling “Excuse me, excuse me” at the man who lay there pretending to be fast asleep. After a few loud “Excuse me´s” he pretended to wake up with a confuzed expression on his face. Pathetic! I screamed a few well-picked words in Hindi, but seeing as I had been working with children during my traineeship, my vocabulary was limited to colours, animal names and such. In the end (as I usually did with the children) I made him apologize: “Bollo: Sorry – Bollo: Sorry”. What an asshole!

The story is not finished! After a whole night on the bus, I took a bus from Delhi to Chandigarh, ran some errands in Sector 17 and 35 and took a rickshaw back home to the traineehouse. Now, when I took of my clothes to take a shower, I noticed a BIG hole in the back of my trousers. YES, the Indian gentleman had been cutting a hole in my trousers when I was sleeping. And, I had walked around Delhi and Chandigarh with my underwear showing the whole day.

Amazing Indian Men

If your able to understand Icelandic, then do not hesitate to visit Nina's blog. I'm sure she's got a lot more interesting stories there:
http://ninaiceland.blogspot.com/